We are now in the festive time of the year! With many being on the roads heading to holiday destinations or visiting loved once all over the country, it’s important to keep road safety top of mind. The tips below will help you keep safe.
Before your trip:
- Plan the route to your holiday destination and allow yourself enough time to reach the destination.
- Try to avoid driving after dark if possible.
- Do not overload your car.
- Make sure your vehicle is in a roadworthy condition. All lights and indicators, windscreens, windscreen wipers, brakes, steering, shock absorbers, exhaust system and tyres should be carefully examined for faults.
- Have a good rest before you embark on your journey.
- Know your emergency numbers.
- Expect others to not be as obedient to the law as yourself.
On the road:
- Obey the rules of the road.
- Always have your driver’s license with you.
- Try to recognize potentially dangerous drivers on the road and keep well clear of them.
- Keep an eye out for pedestrians alongside the road.
- Drive with your lights on for visibility.
- Headlights should be dipped well before an approaching vehicle is within the range of the main beam.
- Always wear your seat belt and see that everyone in the car is wearing theirs.
- Drive defensively.
- Always stay within the speed limit.
- Only overtake when it is absolutely safe to do so.
- Maintain at least a 2-second following distance.
- Be courteous towards fellow road users.
Things to avoid while driving:
- Never drink and drive.
- Avoid distractions on the road such as texting, conversations on cellular phones etc.
- Don’t drive tired. Take safety breaks every 2 hours or 200km.
- Never disobey road signs and pay attention to law enforcement officer signals.
WP Motors encourage all road users to play their part in keeping our roads safe this holiday season. Arrive safely at your destination and return safely back home.